Leverage LinkedIn. Most people have heard of LinkedIn and many have some sort of presence on LinkedIn but many people are clueless on how to leverage LinkedIn to be more successful in landing their next job.
5 strategies to better leverage LinkedIn in your job search
- Follow companies on LinkedIn. There are multiple advantages to following the companies you like on LinkedIn. You will know when new opportunities come up in your field.
- Check out the How you are connected area of the company page to see who works there and start to understand the corporate structure.
- Leverage your shared connections to get to the person you need to speak to who would make decisions about your type of job. You are seeking the decision maker for the division or department you want to work in and not human resources. Human resources may be the channel you need to use to apply but rarely does HR make the sole decision on a hire. Rather they present the best candidates to the decision makers and perhaps sit in on the interviews. Every company is different but because most companies want the new employees to work well in their talent, they are interviewed by people who understand the job.
- Understand the power of networking. You need to start networking long before you consider a job change. Networking means getting to know people who can help you get to know a company and finding ways to be an asset to those people so they will be willing to help you in the future.
- Research companies on LinkedIn. When you see that there have been many people who were employed at a company but ever since a change of CEO, the top-tier of management is gone, you have data that can reveal multiple things: 1.) the CEO cleaned house and the company is going in a new direction 2.) people left after the CEO came on board because they were not happy with changes 3.) there is no job security there because people are continually changing. All or none of these may be true but seeing large transitions are indicators that something is happening and you need to do more research to find out why.
Land your next role! I can help you win new positions by using my interactive coaching style of resume writing to create your new resume and help you use multiple tools such as LinkedIn to propel you to success in your job search! Learn more here