My clients come from diverse places. They are in different fields, at different levels in their fields, with different educational levels and different backgrounds as well as diverse locations throughout the United States and even the world.
Job seekers have different levels of technology skills
One difference I would like to discuss today is the different levels of technology skills. Many of my clients are top-level technology experts. Some of them come directly from the IT field and others have implemented highly advanced technological improvements as part of their managerial or executive roles. On the other hard, I have people tell me, “I’m not very adept in technology.” We talk through that and build an understanding of what they mean.
Technology is a critical component of your career skills
What concerns me is it isn’t an option any more to brush off growing in technology skills. You may say you work on a computer all day and don’t want one at home or your manufacturing roles don’t need you to understand technology. All of those are not good options. Jobs are not forever and you need to build technology skills for many reasons:
- You absolutely cannot do a job search without technology skills. With online applications, resumes, social media job search, and research done primarily through the computer, you cannot leave this area alone because it scares you or you don’t know how.
- You really can’t have many jobs that don’t incorporate technology in some way. If you do work in the manufacturing environment, increasingly you need to access production schedules, production reports, and even program the manufacturing equipment.
- You have to build a basic understanding of how to save a file, build the file, and access it later.
- You need access to those tools. Laptops have come down in price, you need to put it in your budget and then load it with the common tools. All resume and career marketing projects are written at Design Resumes in Microsoft Word. When a client tells me they can’t open a file or it looks different, the first place I check is to find out if Word is on their computer. Today Microsoft’s product line includes Office 365 with a monthly fee for the programs as well as the more traditional Office software packages.
- You need to be willing to invest in understanding how much our world has changed in the last 5 to 10 years. Communication goes at light speed now. We communicate with Australia from Wisconsin on Facebook in seconds, having a running conversation about everything from food to the latest technology tool. The tools for you as a job seeker as well as your potential employer are incredible in the sense of being able to find out information about companies, hiring managers, and of course, you the prospective employee.
My message today is don’t ignore technology. Embrace it and immerse yourself in it. You will emerge a better employee and have fun in the process.