Why do many job seekers fail? Why is it that some people seem to land on their feet and other job seekers struggle? The answer why many job seekers fail is that they chose the easy way of job search. But the easy way is often the hard way.
Top misconceptions of job search
- Take the easy way out by using point-and-click strategy instead of targeting their search.
- Apply only online and not taking the next step to follow up with networking, the opportunity to turn an online application into an interview is missed.
- Apply in volume. You don’t benefit from more applications, you benefit from the right number of applications to jobs you really would want. Instead, try putting more effort into writing the resume, cover letter and follow-up.
- Do too little follow-up while using a second-class resume.
- Failing to create a quality LinkedIn profile.
- Not injecting your personality into your resume. If your resume looks identical to 50 others, no hiring manager will call.
- Skipping the individualized cover letter. I am often asked, can you just write me a generic cover letter? NO! Send me a job description and I will target your cover letter to the position, showing the employer why you are the right candidate for the job.
Job Seekers fail by copy and pasting resume samples
It is fine to get ideas from a high-quality resume book or sample on a pro’s website. If you put the content in your resume, you lose. Hiring managers are smart enough to Google phrases that seem all too familiar. You can’t borrow accomplishments. Your information is not the same as someone else’s so you cannot take a sample and say “Me too” to everything on it and just add it to your resume.
Easy Street Job Search is not for you!
These are all easy street steps and not the ones a confident, well-qualified job seeker should use. The economy is tough.
When I as a professional resume writer write your resume, I interview you extensively. We sift through your information in interactive interviews. Craft the best accomplishments into a marketing document focusing on your value and skills to differentiate you from the crowd.
Do it right though and you will be enjoying your new position in no time!
Stuck in your job search or existing position? Don’t know how to get unstuck? Hire an expert to do it for you. You will hit your target much more quickly and be doing what you do best instead of trying to figure your way through the job search maze. To find out how, Click here!
Resume Design and Job Seeking Tips
Here are Design Resumes' latest articles on job search, resume design, resume writing, and Linkedin optimization articles I've written.
Professional Resume Writer
Here are ways I can help you land your dream job.
You may be halfway across the country or the world. When you work with me, we share coffee, laughs, and concerns. This turns the scary job search into creative, consultative writing and learning sessions.