If you base your choice of professional resume writer or hiring a resume writer at all on price alone, you will lose. Your resume is the marketing tool that will (if it is well-written and compelling) lead to your next role. Most people change jobs no more than every three to five years and for many people, a job change is a major life moment. If you decide that you are unwilling to invest in the project, you may end up without the position of your dreams.
Solving your career search dilemma
I can’t even count how many great resume writers I know. But the best ones are not going to be the lowest priced ones or the most available. The best writers will have a range of prices or packages to help you solve your career dilemma and the best ones will not be able to get your resume written so you can submit it tomorrow.
Professional resume writing is an investment into your future
Career marketing is an investment. Creating a compelling document to evoke a desire to call you for an interview is exactly what professional resume writers do best. They are well-trained, well-read, and they do more research into improving their craft than many professionals. Their success rate depends on staying on the cutting-edge and knowing what works for hiring managers.
What should you consider when hiring a professional resume writer?
- Verify their samples. Most resume writers post a few on their website. This will get you an idea of the caliber of writing but should not be considered the only styles or the only industries they are able to write.
- Check for certifications. Most good writers should have at least one certification from one of the career industry organizations, Career Directors International, Professional Association of Resume Writers and Career Coaches, National Resume Writers Association, Career Thought Leaders, or the Resume Writing Academy.
- Check for memberships in the same career organizations. Resume writers will belong to one or more of the above organizations.
- Ask about success stories. A good resume writer will be able to tell you some success stories. Don’t be surprised though if they don’t offer references. In this very confidential field, professional resume writers don’t let their client names out. You may find recommendations on LinkedIn though from former clients or even colleagues.
- Check them out on social media. Active professional resume writers use social media well. You will find them on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and a myriad of other online locations. Follow their conversation and see if you like their personality.
- Then compare pricing. But don’t let price be the first decision maker. See how they rank compared to others. You will be making an investment with any high caliber professional resume writer even at the entry level.
Success stories of clients who landed
In the last two days, I have had two clients let me know they have new jobs and one who will have a major offer in her hands by the end of the month. Successful job search starts with a value-infused, accomplishment-driven resume that injects the client’s personality and talents throughout the resume. It is not boilerplate or template but it is crafted by professional resume writing that showcases the key points that differentiate the client from the rest in the applicant pool.
When you are looking to hire a professional resume writer, you are seeking a career marketing expert who will create the path to your future earnings. Think about this, if you land a job that pays only $50,000 and you keep that job for 5 years, you will earn a quarter of a million dollars in that time, doesn’t the cost of the resume sound like a good investment now?