When your resume sells you short, it fails to deliver your value. Resume writers see many resumes that are little more than a who, what, where or name, rank, and serial number type of resume.
- There are no robust stories depicting the value of the person.
- Nothing finetunes their accomplishments to fit the job target.
- The formatting is dull and listless.
Everything about your resume is selling you short
Blah and boring! Let me ask you a question. What do you think a resume is supposed to do?
Hint: It is not supposed to sell you short!
Your resume is supposed to market you as the product that an employer needs to meet his goals. If your resume is a rehashed job description that doesn’t showcase how you are different from the other 1000+ applicants for the job, it can’t do that.
Ask yourself these questions to transform your resume
- How are you different?
- What value do you bring?
- What makes you the solution for the employer’s problems?
5 examples of how to transform your resume
- Purchasing Manager – Conceptualized and implemented automated vending machine dispensers for welding consumable parts which improved tracking, decreased costs by $50K annually, and generated daily reporting.
- Social Worker – Transitioned client with behavioral challenges from an institution into a 4-bed state-licensed adult family home. The client successfully worked part-time in a sheltered workshop with behavior under control, improving quality of life and independence.
- College Football Coach – Built solid teams with students from diverse economic backgrounds and cultural ethnicity who cohesively worked together to regularly rank in the Top 25 colleges nationwide by finding common ground between the players and teaching a value-based playing strategy.
- Operations Manager – Championed and directed lean manufacturing transformation in two separate facilities by increasing value from the customer’s perspective through waste elimination and the development of a continuous improvement culture.
- Director of Healthcare Program – Spearheaded design and positioning of rural health platform for $6B commitment by supporting new product portfolios, partnerships, alignment with global health challenges, the base of the pyramid solutions, and company healthcare expertise.
If your resume doesn’t resonate with your value, it misses the boat and sells you short. Is your career worth the time and investment to do it right?
Julie Walraven is a triple-certified resume writer whose interactive coaching style helps job seekers earn winning positions when she creates tactical resumes and LinkedIn profiles to market you for success. Learn more here.
Resume Design and Job Seeking Tips
Here are Design Resumes' latest articles on job search, resume design, resume writing, and Linkedin optimization articles I've written.
Professional Resume Writer
Here are ways I can help you land your dream job.
You may be halfway across the country or the world. When you work with me, we share coffee, laughs, and concerns. This turns the scary job search into creative, consultative writing and learning sessions.