I started my day today with a call to Dawn Bugni, my friend and colleague in North Carolina. Besides being a great resume writer and job search expert, Dawn has this way of telling me things that just stick in my head and don’t leave.
Whenever I get frustrated, I am likely to call Dawn, vent for awhile, laugh even longer, and go away with a new batch of “Dawnisms” stuck in my head.
The title: “No one can take advantage of you without permission” is one of them and she further expanded when I direct messaged her on Twitter:
“You teach people how to treat you.” Another of my favorites: “No one can take advantage of you. You allow it.”
Many people – including me, struggle with letting people run over us sometimes.
- It could be at your job when a coworker piles on extra work and you are too nice to tell them no.
- It could be in a non-profit as a volunteer when again, you just keep saying yes regardless of your own needs or schedule.
- It could be in your jobsearch when you follow the directions of your brother-in-law instead of researching and listening to career marketing experts.
- It could be in your business when you deliberately undervalue your services even though you know you should be pricing differently.
- It could be when you take on responsibility that someone else in your family should have because you don’t want to make waves.
When I struggle with those situations, I take a new dose of Dawnisms and move on to a healthier attitude and more enthusiasm for life. How about you?