Did you know resume writing is an art? If you write your resume correctly, you will win a new job.
When you don’t know the best practices of resume writing, you often fail to capture the attention of the reader.
You think a resume is a job description
If you write a resume like a job description, you will fail. While there are some creative job descriptions, most are boilerplate information downloaded into the job posting. Few are even customized to fit the role. In other words, job descriptions are generally boring. Don’t write your resume like a job description!
Resume writing focuses on the value you offer not the tasks or duties of the job.
How does resume writing different from a job description?
While as a professional resume writer I want to know what you do and the keywords for your industry, I want to capture the success in the role in a very different way. I am looking to find out what value you provided the company.
- Increase revenue by 80% through selling more widgets?
- Lower costs by 45% through identifying new vendors?
- Capture a multi-million dollar new client by providing over-the-top customer service?
- Find a solution for a difficult healthcare issue?
Where are the best places to capture attention on a resume?
- Position your best success stories at the top of the resume.
- Inject industry and position keywords throughout the resume but especially at the top.
- Write an engaging branding statement that brings out who you are and the value you bring.
Ready for career happiness? Sign up to read More Free Posts Like This One!
Land your dream job! A pioneer of unique style of resume writing services, I use interactive live writing and coaching to capture your best value. Together we position you for success in your resume and LinkedIn, while coaching you on best job search strategies. Learn more here
Resume Design and Job Seeking Tips
Here are Design Resumes' latest articles on job search, resume design, resume writing, and Linkedin optimization articles I've written.
Professional Resume Writer
Here are ways I can help you land your dream job.
You may be halfway across the country or the world. When you work with me, we share coffee, laughs, and concerns. This turns the scary job search into creative, consultative writing and learning sessions.