What is value in a resume?
What will sell you to the next employer? The hiring manager doesn’t want a rerun of his job description. He wants to know how you provided value to the company in the past and more importantly he wants to know what you will do for his company.
How do you capture value?
It is hard to remember what you did in a job three years ago, or even what you ate for dinner yesterday.
If you get in the habit of keeping track of your success stories as they happen, you will be better prepared to create your resume in the future.
The questions to help you write your next resume
- Have you helped to increase your company’s competitive edge? What methods did you use to accomplish this?
- What type of staff development or training initiatives did you put in place?
- Have you developed and launched any new products or programs?
- Were you involved with mergers and acquisitions? What was your role?
- Have you realigned a process or procedure? What were the results?
You remember what you did today (most likely). Develop a tracking system. You can:
- Use a pad of paper and put things in a folder (even post-its work for tracking accomplishments.
- Create a Word document and keep your notes there. Put all job search related things in an electronic folder labeled resume and your name, in case there are other people using your computer.
- Some people like to use OneNote for tracking information
- Perhaps you are an Evernote user, create a notebook or note just for your job search initiatives.
Whatever tool you like best will help you start a system of recording your wins so that resume writing is easier the next time you need to create one.
Land your dream job! Design Resumes helps job seekers via interactive and personalized strategic coaching sessions to land their ideal job and achieve career happiness. Find out how to create your resume writing and job search solution here!
Ready for career happiness? Sign up for More Free Job Search Articles Like This One delivered to your inbox!
Resume Design and Job Seeking Tips
Here are Design Resumes' latest articles on job search, resume design, resume writing, and Linkedin optimization articles I've written.
Professional Resume Writer
Here are ways I can help you land your dream job.
You may be halfway across the country or the world. When you work with me, we share coffee, laughs, and concerns. This turns the scary job search into creative, consultative writing and learning sessions.