Hunting for a job? Perhaps you need better career goals. As I work with job seekers, we talk about targets and goals.
In their hearts, most people desire success. How they define success is often very different. What is important is how YOU define success!
Better career goals for you
Even within the same field, people want different things. Whether we are talking about healthcare, marketing, engineering, or IT, people target different paths.
- Define a specific target that motivates you.
- Determine if you want a job with teamwork or independence.
- Find the path that matches your leadership model.
- Ask yourself if you need more training or credentials to reach your goal.
Successful career goals come from within you
You can’t borrow your goals from someone else. In the process of working with my clients, we work together to find those values they treasure, the tasks that aren’t work to them because those tasks make them happy, the people who inspire them, and the environment that fits their work style best. When we do that, we come closer to identifying the jobs that attract them.
Key Questions to ask yourself:
- Do you like to work alone or with people?
- What kind of leader inspires you?
- Is there specific work you like to do more than others?
- Are you detail-focused or do you like the broader picture?
- Do you need wide open spaces or small cubicles?
- Is travel on your radar or are you a homebody?
- Can you work without supervision?
Find the career path that fits you
Within any career path, there will be areas that better fit your personality and background. I believe in career happiness. My heart breaks when I find that someone has spent 10 or 20 years in a career path or area that they hate.
Perhaps you think the economy determines your career path. I don’t. I think if you want something badly enough, you can reach it. You may need extraordinary methods to get there but goals are achievable in any economy in any field.
You deserve happiness in your career. Don’t settle! I create career marketing materials and coach job seekers to reach their career goals.
Ready for career happiness? Sign up to read More Free Posts Like This One!
Land your dream job! Design Resumes helps job seekers via interactive and personalized strategic coaching sessions to land their ideal job and achieve career happiness. Learn more here