What happens when economic confidence drops
When people don’t feel confident about the economy, they don’t invest in services and products. You see less people buying new cars, building new homes, taking extravagant vacations. This is true of job seekers and career movers too. There is always a number of both unemployed and forward-thinking careerists who know that preparing for opportunities in any economic climate is wise. Those people understand that investments yield results. But the numbers of those are less when the economy is bad.
Should I change my job
Ask yourself these questions if you have been mulling over a career change:
- Are you feeling fulfilled with your current company?
- Are you meeting the career goals you set for yourself?
- Do you like your coworkers?
- Is there potential for advancement?
- Is your company likely to merge in the near future? (Mergers aren’t necessarily bad but they do impact your roles and restructuring may occur.)
- Is your company thriving or struggling?
How to determine if it is a good career move
- Is the company I am targeting secure? Tip: check their stock prices if publicly traded on sites like CNNMoney.
- What are employees saying about the company? Tip: using glassdoor.com to look at what employees have posted about the company you are targeting.
- Conduct informational interviews with former and present employees to get the inside scoop.
- Review LinkedIn to see if they have a company page and see if you can determine the numbers of employees who are being added.
- Read media reports about the company. Don’t just read press releases. Google the company and assess the links to see if there is anything in the news (good or bad) that can help you make a decision.
What should I do to get ready to change my job?
- Is your resume professionally written with keywords and value-filled accomplishments that clearly tell your career story?
- Do you understand the impact of social media marketing on jobsearch?
- Are you prepared with a robust LinkedIn profile?
- Do you feel confident in facing an internal or external interview?
If you answered no to any of the questions above, consider hiring me to guide you through your career move or assist you in finding a new role. I help forward-thinking career professionals make decisive career moves and transition to new roles. My interactive, collaborative process gives you a voice in creating career documents and strategies that propel you to new opportunities.
Need help? Hire me, a Certified Master Resume Writer. I can take the pain out of writing your resume and even make it fun. We work together to discover those forgotten contributions and position you to win your next role. To find out how, Click Here.
Resume Design and Job Seeking Tips
Here are Design Resumes' latest articles on job search, resume design, resume writing, and Linkedin optimization articles I've written.
Professional Resume Writer
Here are ways I can help you land your dream job.
You may be halfway across the country or the world. When you work with me, we share coffee, laughs, and concerns. This turns the scary job search into creative, consultative writing and learning sessions.